The Summit School campus is fully operational. Students are on campus, the Admissions Office is accepting applications and the Summit Resource Center is seeing clients. When on campus all persons are required to follow directives designed to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 including active social distancing, use of face masks, and regular hand washing and sanitizing.
Serving bright students with dyslexia
and other learning differences.
Early Signs of Learning Differences
Signs of learning or developmental problems can surface at a young age. There are a variety of observable indicators of possible learning differences. Early recognition and access to timely, evidence-based programs and services are critical to future learning success.
Speech and Language:
- Delay in speech and language acquisition
- Multiple speech errors
- Difficulty in word retrieval and /or sentence formulation
- Difficulty telling a story and/or following directions
- Difficulty understanding and/or engaging in oral communication
- Delay in development of gross motor skills such as sitting, crawling, walking, self-feeding, throwing a ball, skipping, running or going up and down stairs
- Difficulty with fine motor skills such as using writing tools and/or scissors
- Unexpected social awkwardness
- Difficulty engaging in early social experiences with peers and with adults in a variety of settings
- Difficulty with letter names and sounds
- Difficulty staying on task for paper and pencil activities
- Difficulty with number concepts
Every child develops at their own pace. Individually these behaviors do not necessarily mean there is a problem. If any of these behaviors prevent your child from being successful in social or academic environments, an evaluation will help you understand if intervention is necessary. Early intervention is vital.
A comprehensive evaluation should include:
- Speech & Language
- Medical: Developmental and Neurological
The Summit Resource Center at The Summit School offers diagnostic testing services for children and adults. Our comprehensive evaluations measure cognitive learning patterns, academic achievement, executive function, memory functions, speech and language concerns and more. Click here to learn more about The Summit Resource Center.