1:00 pm – 4:00 pm
Students entering grades 7 – 9
ACADEMIC WRITING can be a very difficult task for many students. There are so many layers to writing a strong essay or a teacher-pleasing research report. EmPOWER™ Your Writing Skills camp will teach students how to use the EmPOWER™ writing process to launch them on the road to writing success. Students will learn how to:
- Evaluate the writing task
- Make a plan for the writing task
- Organize thoughts using one of six specific graphic organizers
- Write fact or opinion theme statements
- Organize information in a logical sequence
- Summarize paragraphs with a powerful closing sentence
- Develop a voice in written pieces that engages the reader
- Self-evaluate the quality of the writing
- Edit to make necessary changes
The EmPOWER™ writing process is based on solid research and developed to help students connect oral language, organization of thoughts and writing. EmPOWER™ strategies enable students to develop the internal dialogue that guides the writing process and supports thinking for effective writing.
Download the Writing Skills brochure for details and the application.