- Camp Summit is morning academics followed by afternoon recreation.
- Specialty Camps include EmPOWER™ for building strong expository writing skills and Executive Functions to help students learn to plan and organize.
Summit Summer Camp is for bright children entering grades 1-8 who struggle with reading, writing and math. Some have been formally diagnosed with a specific learning difference in reading or a language-based learning difference such as dyslexia. Students are grouped into small classes based on skill level to address their learning profile. Trained teachers use research-based methods and multisensory strategies to reinforce learning. Campers avoid summer learning loss while having fun and making new friends.
JULY 5 – JULY 30, RISING 1 – 8 GRADERS
Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM – 3:00pm
Morning academics follow a structured curriculum that includes one hour each day of:
- Reading: small group instruction using a systematic, multi-sensory approach for skill development.
- Math: small groups, standards-based multisensory instruction.
- Oral/Written Expression: fun oral and written language activities and structured approaches to sentence formulation, story writing, and expository writing using computer technology.
Afternoon recreation with supportive teachers and camp counselors leading campers in sports, games, music, cooking, performances, arts, STEAM activities, and small group activities.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE: CLICK TO REGISTER. A $100 non-refundable deposit is due with your application. Applications are considered in the order received. You will be notified of acceptance or wait list status as soon as possible. Please do not send camp tuition until notice of acceptance has been received. Limited financial aid is available – please inquire.
TUITION: $2,400/student. Tuition is non-refundable after June 4, 2021.
SUMMIT FAMILY DISCOUNTED TUITION: Summit is pleased to offer a discount to former Camp Summit attendees, Summit students, and Summit Resource Center clients. Tuition of $2,000 must be paid in full by May 7, 2021 in order to receive this discount.
PLACEMENT SCREENING: Students will meet with one of our staff members for a screening to be sure each camper is placed in the right class. Screening will take approximately one hour. You will be contacted to schedule a date and time.
For more information about Camp Summit, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
SUMMER AT SUMMIT SPECIALTY CAMPS
EXECUTIVE FUNCTIONS CAMP
- August 2-6, 9:00 am – 12:00 pm, Rising 8, 9 & 10 Graders
- August 9-13, 9:00 am – 12:00 pm, Rising 5, 6 & 7 Graders
Executive Functions help us plan, organize, strategize, manage time and pay attention to details. In school, these skills help students plan for assignments, sustain attention to tasks, and stay organized.
Students will learn organization, time management, and study skills, developing strategies to:
- Prioritize assignments
- Keep materials organized and stay organized in the classroom
- Sustain attention to tasks
- Manage time inside and outside the classroom
- Start assignments efficiently
- Study for subject area tests efficiently and effectively.
In addition to learning new skills, students will take home resources that can be used in every classroom, including monthly and weekly calendars, graphic organizer outlines, and study guide shells. If your child has difficulty in any of these areas, they will benefit from Executive Functioning skill development.
FOLLOW UP SESSIONS INCLUDED: Two follow up sessions, to be held once the school year begins, will be scheduled to check in on progress and help set up for a successful year. These sessions are included in the cost of camp tuition.
- August 2-6, 12:30 pm – 3:30 pm, Rising 8, 9 & 10 Graders
- August 9-13, 12:30 pm – 3:30 pm, Rising 5, 6 & 7 Graders
ACADEMIC WRITING can be a very difficult task for many students. This camp teaches students how to use the EMPOWER™ writing process launching them on the road to writing success. Students will learn how to:
- Evaluate the writing task
- Plan for the writing task
- Organize thoughts using one of six specific graphic organizers
- Write fact or opinion theme statements
- Organize information in a logical sequence
- Summarize paragraphs with a powerful closing sentence
- Develop a voice in written pieces that engages the reader
- Self-evaluate the quality of the writing
- Edit to make necessary changes.
EmPOWER™ is a research-based writing process that helps students connect oral language, organization of thoughts and writing. EmPOWER™ strategies enable students to develop the internal dialogue that guides the writing process and supports thinking for effective writing.
SPECIALTY CAMP TUITION: $480/student for each specialty camp; enrollment minimum is 5 students per session, maximum of 8 students. Tuition is non-refundable after July 20, 2021.